The Crown Chakra, also known as the Sahasrara Chakra, is the 7th Chakra and is aptly named since it represents our connection to our Higher Power. It has to do with inspiration, connection to the divine, receiving insight and information, and our overall integration with God and/or universal consciousness. When our Crown Chakra is in balance, we are able to be 100% present, we have discernment – meaning that we are able to see truth as it really is, we are unified not only with ourselves but with our Higher Power…we are satisfied that we are on track to fulfill our divine purpose as we live here on earth.
White is the color associated with the Crown Chakra, spirit is the element, and it is connected to the Central Nervous System. The yoga identity associated with the Crown Chakra is Universal Identity, and Vrksasana (Tree Pose) and Padmasana (Lotus) are yoga asanas that can be helpful to balance the Crown Chakra. Frankincense and Lavender are essential oils supportive to a healthy Crown Chakra.
Excess energy in this chakra can manifest itself as consistent frustration, feelings of depression, migraine headaches, wild mood swings/personality traits, manic/depressive features or psychotic-type mental illness. Deficient energy may manifest as loss of self, lack of inspiration, feeling overwhelmed or helpless, feeling like a victim, not connected to meaning or significance in life, and no aspirations. Yoga asana, meditating on honoring the body as the temple of the radiant soul, and essential oils are a few ways to help us return to balance for a healthy Crown Chakra balance and divine connection.
As we finish our focus on Chakras, let’s also talk about some general ways you can maintain healthy and balanced chakras so you feel better and resonate with positivity:
· Use pure aromatherapy
· Participate in regular yoga practice
· Spend time in nature
· Use affirmations
· Nourish yourself in body, mind and spirit on a regular basis
· Make a joy list and consistently do activities on it
· Eat organic produce, recognizing that you can strengthen/balance a chakra by eating colored foods representative of the chakras (processed, junk and fast foods tend to clog chakras, and make them sluggish and deficient)
· Get enough sleep
· Pay attention to your dosha type, and participate in recommended self care
· Drink enough water
· Manage your emotions
· Get fresh air and sunshine
· Reduce your toxic load
· Listen to positive music, specifically classic music
· Use stones, gemstones and/or crystals (see pages 30-31 Essential Yoga Practice)
· Live intentionally; you can create the life you want to live!
For more information on chakras, self-care and inviting the synergistic benefits of combining yoga with essential oils, join us for our Essential Yoga Sangha in November. Yoga Alliance members can receive 10 CE credits by participating. For more information, click here.